The Macon County Merit Commission will be receiving applications to establish an eligibility list for Deputy Sheriffs of Macon County. Instruction letter, application, forms and booklets are available at the bottom of this page or may be obtained at the Macon County Sheriff's Office 333 S. Franklin St, Decatur, IL, phone number 217-424-1321, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, commencing on August 6th, 2020.
$50,416.94 - $81,939.54
To be appointed to the Office, an applicant must meet such standards as:
1. Be no younger than 21 years of age at the time his/her application is received by the Commission.
2. Vision corrected to 20/20, free of color blindness and weight proportionate to height.
3. Not have any physical or mental disability, which would render him/her incapable of performing the duties of the position.
4. Possess a 2 year Associates Degree or have completed no less than 60 credit hours of acceptable college study towards a Bachelor's degree, or
30 hours of college education and two (2) years continuous employment as a Macon County Sheriff's Office Correctional Officer. Or a
Military Veteran with 4 years of active duty in the U.S. Armed forces may apply if they have completed 30 credit hours of acceptable College credit.
5. Be a citizen or legal resident of the United States.
6. Have passed such examinations as the Commission may prescribe from time to time.
7. Be acceptable to the Commission on oral interview.
8. Be acceptable to the Commission on investigation as to reputation and character.
9. Possess a valid Illinois Driver's license at the time of the examination.
10. Successfully complete a Physical Fitness Assessment Test.
11. Successfully complete and pass a written examination.
12. Be fingerprinted and successfully pass a background investigation as to reputation and character.
13. Successfully pass a pre-employment physical examination and drug screen which may include a Physiological evaluation at the Employer's expense.
14. No applicant shall have been convicted of a felony offense or a crime of moral turpitude under the laws of Illinois or any other state.
15. Live within 40 miles of the Macon County Sheriff's Office, within one year after being appointed as a certified employee.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER